Rehabilitation of the Venice Train Depot
The Venice Train Depot was constructed in 1927 and was one of the most prominent structures in the early history of the city. The site is located along the intracoastal waterway, along the bike trail developed from the historic rail corridor, and is adjacent to the city boat ramp.
Community design charrettes were part of the planning process to engage the many project stakeholders; including federal, state and local governmental agencies and non-profit historic and environmental groups.
Restoration of building exterior & adaptive re-use as a transit facility/retail area
- The building features a monumental classical style with arcades, tile roofs and other Italian inspired features.
- The Depot had lost two significant features, the tower and the west canopy. Both were reconstructed based on physical and photographic research.
- The interior features were also restored.
- The building site now serves as a transfer point in the county’s bus system, thereby continuing its transportation related use.
- Many organizations participated in the process. Funding sources included federal and state transportation enhancement funds and historic preservation grants.